If you believe you’ve experienced a claim, take a deep breath. This is why you purchased an attorneys’ insurance policy. Your professional liability policy through Aon Attorneys Advantage provides you with assistance every step of the way through the process.
All claims must be reported to AXIS Insurance in writing. Before we explain how to do that, you may want to take advantage of one of our core Program benefits: the Wilson Elser Hotline.
- Wilson Elser is the national defense firm that—if need be—will defend your case
- Speaking with an attorney at the outset of a potential claim can often be the most important step in achieving a positive resolution and can help alleviate anxiety
- The Hotline provides up to 2 free hours of confidential legal consultation from an attorney with extensive lawyers’ professional liability experience
- The Hotline does not report your claim. It is designed to help determine if a claim exists and provides guidance on what to do, and what not to do
- If you call the Hotline after business hours, they will return your call within 24 hours
Call the Wilson Elser Hotline at 844.ATTY.ADV (844.288.9238).
What to do in the Event of a Claim
You should submit a written notice of the claim or incident to the address noted in the section below. In the notice the following should be included:
- The name and address on your policy
- Your AXIS policy number
- The date and time the claim was made and/or the date you first became aware of an error
- The name of the person or entity making a claim
- Any lawsuit or bar complaint (including summons)
- Alleged act, error or omission upon which claimant bases claim
- Copies of relevant portions of your file
Claims may be submitted in writing via mail or email.
AXIS Professional Lines Claims
300 Connell Drive, Suite 8000
P.O. Box 357
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922-0357
Claims will be managed by the national law firm of Wilson Elser LLP, under the supervision of AXIS Insurance’s Professional Lines Claims Department.
- Response to new claim notices will be on the same day or the next business day.
- Wilson Elser’s dedicated team of highly experienced attorneys operate out of 31 U.S. offices.
- AXIS’ Insurance supervising claim attorneys average 15+ years of lawyers’ professional liability experience and can provide valuable direction and timely, effective claims resolution.
- Policyholders also have access to a highly qualified and cost-effective panel of defense counsel in all major jurisdictions.
If you think you’ve experienced a claim, don’t wait to report it
. AXIS utilizes a ‘claims-made’ policy form. Coverage is only applicable to claims that occur and are reported during the policy period
. If the policy lapses and a claim is reported after the expiration date, coverage may be denied.
Report a claim when:
- A demand is received for money or services
- Service of suit
- Institution of alternative dispute resolution or arbitration proceeding
- Disciplinary action is threatened or filed
- Any written or verbal notice received by any insured that it is the intention of a person or entity to hold the insured responsible for the consequences of an alleged wrongful act
- Any request to toll or waive a statute of limitations relating to an alleged wrongful act
Potential claims or incidents should be reported when any insured knows or could reasonably foresee that an act, error, omission, circumstance or personal injury might be the basis of a claim. Under such circumstances, the potential claim should be reported in writing during the policy period in effect when any insured first becomes aware of such act, error, omission, circumstance or personal injury.
DO NOT do the following:
- Make any admissions of liability
- Agree to attend any settlement conferences
- Sign releases
- Settle any claims
- Attend depositions
- Assign defense counsel
- Agree to binding arbitration
- Assume any obligation
- Incur any expense
- Make any payment
Contact your claim representative before agreeing to any of the above, as admission of liability or the assignment of defense counsel, without company authorization, could jeopardize your coverage under the policy.