These instructions are for reporting a professional liability insurance claim only.
All claims must be reported in writing, as verbal notice of claim will not be accepted.
For Claims for policies with Liberty Insurance Underwriters, Inc., please send all claim information in writing to:
Liberty Insurance Underwriters, Inc.
55 Water Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10041
Attention: Claims Division
Phone: (212) 208-4100
Claims Department Fax: (212) 208-4290
For Claims for policies with any other underwriter please contact your administrator for the proper claims reporting address and procedure. Click Here to complete the Contact Us form.
How do I know when I should report a claim?
Note: Coverage is only applicable to claims first made and reported during the policy period. Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.
- When a demand is received for money or services
- Service of suit
- Institution of alternative dispute resolution or arbitration proceeding
- Disciplinary action is threatened or filed
- Any written or verbal notice received by any insured that it is the intention of a person or entity to hold the insured responsible for the consequences of an alleged wrongful act.
- Any request to toll or waive a statute of limitations relating to an alleged wrongful act.
When should I report an incident?
Potential claims or incidents should be reported when any Insured knows or could reasonably foresee that an act, error, omission, circumstance or personal injury might be the basis of a claim. Under such circumstances, the potential claim should be reported in writing during the policy period in effect when any insured first becomes aware of such act, error, omission, circumstance or personal injury.
How do I report a claim or incident?
You should submit a written notice of claim or incident to the address noted for your state. In the notice the following should be included:
It is important that you do not do the following:
- The name and address of your practice
- Policy number
- Date and time claim was made and/or the date you first became aware of an error
- Name of person or entity making a claim
- Any lawsuit or bar complaint (including summons)
- Alleged act, error or omission upon which claimant bases claim
- Copies of relevant portions of your file
Contact your claim representative before agreeing to any of the above, as admission of liability or the assignment of defense counsel, without company authorization, could jeopardize your coverage under the policy.
- Make any admissions of liability
- Agree to attend any settlement conferences
- Sign releases
- Settle any claims
- Attend depositions
- Assign defense counsel
- Agree to binding arbitration
- Assume any obligation
- Incur any expense
- Make any payment